Good morning and welcome to your weekday morning roundup of the top stories you need to know.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What's going on today:
- Asian stocks react to Evergrande. Asian markets grapple with Evergrande fallout as concern over a China power crunch grows. Asian shares mainly drifted lower Tuesday as investors continued to fret over China Evergrande Group's unsolved debt crisis and eyed the potential impact of a widening power shortage in China.
- Crenshaw's campaign hit by bad checks. A check-altering thief stole money from Republican Rep. Dan Crenshaw's re-election campaign. Crenshaw is just one of dozens of federal political candidates and committees to suffer stolen campaign funds since the last election cycle.
- Brian Laundrie's family insists on their innocence. Laundrie family attorney told Insider his parents "do not know where" he is and any "speculation" that they do "is just wrong." The attorney's statement comes after authorities issued an arrest warrant for Laundrie related to his activities following Gabby Petito's death.
- "We want to reunite, we've always wanted to reunite." The family of one of R. Kelly's girlfriends hopes his conviction will help them finally reunite with her. Joycelyn Savage had been one of Kelly's most vocal supporters, but her family believes she is being held against her will and says they haven't spent unmonitored time with her since 2017.
- An NBA legend admonishes unvaccinated players. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says NBA players who don't get vaccinated should be "disciplined." Abdul-Jabbar made the comment after Brooklyn Nets player Kyrie Irving refused to say whether or not he had been vaccinated, ESPN reported.
- That's all for now. See you tomorrow.